Re: st: Loop to replace values of a variable

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Loop to replace values of a variable
Date   Wed, 18 Dec 2013 14:40:42 +0100

no need to loop:

gen x = _n*.1

Hope this helps,
Maarten

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM, emanuele mazzini
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear all statalist users,
>
> I would like to program a (relatively) simple loop to replace the
> values of a variable I created, but I cannot  figure it out how to
> write the syntax.
>
> The structure of my data is very simple:
> I have 300 observations and a variable, say x, that in the first cell
> (i.e. for n=1) is equal to 0.1, while it is missing for all other 299
> cells. Data look like:
>
> n     x
> 1    0.1
> 2     .
> 3     .
> 4     .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> 299  .
> 300  .
>
> I would like the loop to replace the missing values of my variable by
> going from cell 2 to cell 300, and to have a replace that would be at
> a 0.1 intervals, so as to obtain data that look like:
>
> n     x
> 1    0.1
> 2    0.2
> 3    0.3
> 4    0.4
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> 299  29.9
> 300  30
>
> I can obviously do it by hand, but a loop would be naturally much more
> efficient!
> Does anyone know how to make it?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Maarten L. Buis