Re: st: Loop fails to replace missing values

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Loop fails to replace missing values
Date   Wed, 4 Dec 2013 14:32:07 +0000

Your loop

qui foreach v in tstat {
      replace `v' = r(`v') in `i'
}

reduces to a single statement

replace tstat = r(tstat) in `i'

Now r(tstat) is evidently not defined. That is not an error in Stata,
as Stata merely substitutes missing. In your case, therefore, nothing
is changed.

You are evidently confusing -r(tstat)- with the scalar -tstat-.

Your code simplifies to

destring gvkey, replace
egen id = group(gvkey), label
gen date1 = yq(year, fqtr)
tsset id date1, quarterly
su id, meanonly
local limit=r(max)
g tstat = .
gen which = ""

forval i = 1/`limit' {
     display "Iteration of `i' of `limit"
     replace which = "`: label (id) `i''" in `i'
     dfgls fcf if id == `i' , maxlag(4) ers
     matrix b = e(b)
     matrix v1 = e(V)
     qui replace tstat = b[1,1] / sqrt(v1[1,1]) in `i'
 }

Following also an earlier comment by Kieran McCaul I replaced loops
over one element by single statements. It's possible that these loops
were intended to be expanded by you, in which case you would need to
reinstate them.

Note also, primarily as a matter of style, that there is little point
in putting values into named scalars if all you want to do is take out
the value immediately afterwards. That's like getting a box, putting
your pen in it, and then taking it out the pen to use just afterwards.
The boxing up is harmless, but redundat.

The -destring- statement also appears harmless, but redundant.  -egen,
group()- will accept a string variable.