st: RE: additional observations when merging data sets

From   Joe Canner <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: additional observations when merging data sets
Date   Mon, 2 Dec 2013 13:38:15 +0000

Katie,

Please provide an example of the command(s) you are using, as your description is confusing and seemingly contradictory ("I select to keep unmatched data from memory" or " I'm choosing to drop unmatched data"?).

Thanks,
Joe Canner
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Katie Farrin
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2013 7:01 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: additional observations when merging data sets

Good morning,

I have a general question I was hoping someone would be able to help with.  I have household data that I would like to merge with corresponding community level data, and am using a pairwise merge by community.  I select to keep unmatched data from memory, as my sample of households does not include all communities surveyed.  However, when I merge the data I get 50 additional observations and I am not sure why this is happening (my original data set has 2056 observations and the merged set has 2106).  If I'm choosing to drop unmatched data from the new file, what is going on to create additional observations?
Each household should have only one associated community ID.

Thank you!

Katie