Re: st: Multiplicative Functions in Stata

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Multiplicative Functions in Stata
Date   Sat, 30 Nov 2013 10:33:12 +0000

You don't say why you want to "input" this to Stata. My best guess is
that you want to fit this model, for which you need -nl-.

Looking at

(a+X^b+Y^c+Z^d)[1+exp(u-sum(siTi)-nM)]^(-1)

the reciprocation is easier to write as a division. Stata has its own
meanings for square brackets, which should become parentheses

(a+X^b+Y^c+Z^d)/(1+exp(u-sum(siTi)-nM))

Multiplications must all be explicit

(a+X^b+Y^c+Z^d)/(1+exp(u-sum(siTi)-n*M))

and the sum will need to be spelled out (e.g.)

(a + X^b  + Y^c + Z^d)/(1 + exp(u - s1 * T1 - s2 * T2 - s3 *T3 - n*M))

I will stop there. The -nl- manual entry says more, especially about
the brace notation to indicate parameters.

-nl- often needs good initial estimates of the parameters to converge
at all, as is characteristic of the genre.