Re: st: View source code of mata function from library mataado

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: View source code of mata function from library mataado
Date   Tue, 26 Nov 2013 18:08:04 +0000

Clearly if Mata code is also available as source code  then not being
able to understand the object code is immaterial.

The rest is much easier to understand than you imply.

1. StataCorp is in business and chooses to keep all of its C code
secret as a matter of protecting its most vital asset.

This is a matter not only of considering other businesses in
competition with StataCorp but also of considering anybody who might
want to borrow or steal code for their own purposes, e.g. to release
Rata as a free clone of Stata.

This extends also to some of StataCorp's Mata code. Quite where the
company draws the line is no doubt a delicate question but it could
easily include any code that involves anything clever that the company
does not want to see  exposed. There could be more mundane reasons
e.g. code that is not documented well or is too complicated for users
to understand without detailed explanation or that users would ask
questions about that StataCorp does not want to answer.

2. As far as user-programmers are concerned, the decisions are in
detail different but can be loosely similar. For example, people might
have obligations to their employers not to disclose full details of
code developed while an employee or wish to keep original algorithms
veiled until they have been published.

FWIW, all the Mata code I ever make public is fully explicit but I
imply no criticism of anyone who is obliged to, or chooses to, work
otherwise.

In short, Stata is not R. Noone ever said it was all open code.

As Wittgenstein almost said in the Tractatus, whereof one does not
want to speak, thereof one can be silent