Re: st: interaction in anova # or ##

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: interaction in anova # or ##
Date   Mon, 25 Nov 2013 14:30:53 -0500

Francesca,

If you are lucky, the answer is "none of the above."

The ## operator ("factorial cross") expands into a main effect for
group, an overall effect (slope) for age, and an interaction for group
and age (i.e., a separate slope for age in each group).  The #
operator ("cross") expands into only the interaction for group and age
(i.e., the model does not include the main effect for group or an
overall slope for age).

As I interpret your secondary step, you would like to adjust for age
(and gender) with the same slope (and effect) in each group.  That is,
you have an analysis of covariance.  If the adjustments are not the
same in all the groups, it usually difficult to interpret comparisons
among the groups.  Hence,

anova followup group c.age c.baseline

can be compared with the result of

anova followup group##c.age  c.baseline