Re: st: Extracting Data

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Extracting Data
Date   Sun, 24 Nov 2013 10:35:19 +0000

Sure, but I note that neither Steve nor I proposed searching for "Ba" or "Ma".

In practice if this were my problem I would start by -split-ting on
commas, then finding empirically which spurious short elements were
identified and then modify a script to catch those first.

On 24 November 2013 10:25, Sergiy Radyakin <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]
>> logic. I omitted the comma, but Nick's suggestion of creating a
>> temporary placeholder is superior. Here's a revised version which
>> incorporates Nick's idea. It also adds abbreviations with periods (".")
>> and retains these where present.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> *********************Code Begins**************************
>> clear
>> input str244 s
>> "[Meadowfield] Park Sq (Susan Sims) Middle School"
>> "[Somerset] Upton & Pride School (Judith Taper, MA PhD) El School"
>> "[Temperly] Lakewood (Jason Stevenson Jr.,  B.A., Jill Harris, BA ) K-12"
>> "[Packard] W.E.B.Bos ( Bob Williams, Jr.) Middle School"
>> end
>>
>> local suffix "Jr. Sr. BA  B.A. B.S. BS MS M.Sc. Ph.D. PhD"
>> gen p = regexs(1) if regexm(s,"\((.+)\)") /*Robert's code */
>>
>> /* Now remove a single comma preceding the suffixes */
>> foreach x of local suffix {
>> replace p  =regexs(1)+"_"+regexs(3)+regexs(4)+regexs(5) ///
>>  if regexm(p,"(.*)(,)(.*)(`x')(.*)")
>> }
>>
>> split p, p(",")
>> foreach x of local suffix {
>> replace p1 = subinstr(p1,"_",",",.)
>> replace p2 = subinstr(p2,"_",",",.)
>> }
>> list p1 p2
>> *******************Code Ends******************************
>>

>> On Nov 22, 2013, at 4:24 AM, Nick Cox wrote:
>>
>> This sounds like a two-stage process. For example, you might use
>> -split- to split a variable containing the one or two names. ", Jr."
>> needs special treatment. I'd edit ", Jr" to "_Jr." and then edit back.
>>
>> For "Principle" read "Principal" throughout.
>> Nick
>> [email protected]
>>

>> On 22 November 2013 04:58, Becker Stein <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I asked this question yesterday. I needed help creating a regex to
>>> extract data from a single string variable. Robert's solution was
>>> really helpful. I was able to generate the School District,
>>> School Name, and School Type variables. However, I run into problems
>>> trying to create the Principle and Assist. Principles variables.
>>> The gen principal =regexs(1) if regexm(s,"\((.+)\)") returns all of the
>>> contents in the
>>> parentheses, but I need the contents before the comma to generate the
>>> principle name variable and the contents after the comma to generate
>>> the assist. principle name (if any). It gets a little complicated
>>> because sometimes the names themselves have commas in them (as in the
>>> case of Robert Williams, Jr.) I've pasted some sample data below.
>>>

>>> [School District] School Name (Principle, Asst. Principal) School Type
>>>
>>> [Meadowfield] Park Square (Susan Sims, John Riley) Middle School
>>> [Somerset] Upton & Pride Day School (Judith  Taper) Elementary School
>>> [Temperly] Lakewood School (Jason Stevenson, Jill Harris ) K-12
>>> [Packard] W.E.B. Du Bois ( Robert Williams, Jr.) Middle School

>>> "[Somerset] Upton & Pride School (Judith Taper) El School"
>>> "[Temperly] Lakewood (Jason Stevenson, Jill Harris ) K-12"