Re: st: Transformation of variable with pos/neg values via asinh

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Transformation of variable with pos/neg values via asinh
Date   Mon, 18 Nov 2013 20:43:21 -0500

Dear Steven,

The presence of extreme values (relative to the variation in the bulk
of the data) suggests that the variable does not have a normal
distribution.  Do you have a mixture of some sort?

What is the source of the negative values of CEO wealth?

A variable that has both positive and negative values is often the
result of taking the difference between two positive quantities.  If
some sort of transformation seems likely to be useful, it is usually a
good idea to transform the variables that are the basis for the
difference.

Regards,

David Hoaglin