Re: st: How to interpret time dummies in simple difference in difference regression

Subject   Re: st: How to interpret time dummies in simple difference in difference regression
Date   Mon, 18 Nov 2013 17:46:46 -0500

Melisa Haytasingh <[email protected]>:
Probably you want to define a new variable RelTim=time-1970 for time
relative to the discovery of resources, and then interact that with
dummies for each country. Graph your predictions to see that the coef
on the dummy for TnT will be the level jump in gdp_percapita and the
coef on TnTxRelTim will be the difference in time trends before and
after discovery. Using time instead of relative time makes it easy to
project your comparisons back to the nonexistent year zero, rather
then making comparisons at 1970. It's not clear to me why you would
want to assume constant linear growth in gdp_percapita in all
countries as your baseline (counterfactual), but linear time trends
are popular in these kinds of regressions.