st: Generating new variable by sorting and taking the difference of extreme observations every month

From   David Ashcraft <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Generating new variable by sorting and taking the difference of extreme observations every month
Date   Sat, 9 Nov 2013 04:32:09 -0800 (PST)

Hello Statalist,

I have quarterly financial statement and monthly market data for about 1800 firms from six countries for the period 2000-2013. Now I want to create a variable that will sort every month all securities for each of the six countries by total assets. Once sorted take the upper and lower ten percent of the companies and generate a new variable by subtracting the returns of top ten percent from the lower ten percent as sorted by total assets. Any help will be highly appreciated.
Best Regards

David
--
David Ashcraft