Re: st: Calculating confidence intervals for the ratio of stratified standardised mortality rates

Subject   Re: st: Calculating confidence intervals for the ratio of stratified standardised mortality rates
Date   Fri, 8 Nov 2013 18:30:28 -0500

The proper term for your rates are "directly standardized rates"
"Stratified" is implied and also applies to indirect standardization.

Your question isn't quite clear, but I assume that you mean that you
want a comparison of the two time periods for each category of
"all_data". Here is code for a single category of all_data. You can
get results for all categories with a -foreach- or -forvalues- loop.

dstdize ... if all_data==1, by(time) using...

matrix a = r(adj)
matrix s  = r(se)
scalar ratio = a[1,1]/a[1,2]
scalar  slr =
   sqrt((s[1,1]/a[1,1])^2 + (s[1,2]/a[1,2])^2)
scalar bound =
   -slr*invnorm((1 -c(level)/100)/2)
scalar upper = exp(log(ratio) + bound)
scalar lower = exp(log(ratio) -bound)
scalar list ratio lower upper

The formula for the log scale SE (slr) is based on the large sample
result that for an estimate R the delta method estimate of variance is:

var (log W)≈ var(W)/W

The formula applies to each component of the log ratio, since they are
independent.

log ratio = log(adj rate 1) - log(adj rate 2)

I also have a Mata-based solution that is likely faster if you have a
lot of all_data categories and that puts the results into a data set.
It's a bit too long to list here. If you'd like to see it, join
stackoverflow.com and ask your question in the Stata area
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/stata.

Steve