Re: st: RE: meta analysis in stata

From   Christina Wei <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: meta analysis in stata
Date   Tue, 5 Nov 2013 17:49:16 -0500

I've performed a couple of meta-analyses using metan command in Stata
so here are my thoughts:
I concur with most of the replies to your post that meta-analysis is a
way to summarize the effect size of a group of studies.   In other
words, you are summarizing outcomes from all studies that supposedly
are similar (as you do not want to summarize apples and oranges; you
will get a high I squared or Cochrane Q).  You can elect to use random
or fixed effect model when you are summarizing the effect sizes.  To
err on the conservative side, I would just use random effect model.
If you need more explanations for this I'd be happy to explain the
reasons to you in another separate email.  Also, you would need to
interpret I-squared value to make sure that most of your studies are
similar enough to justify the summation.  Also I concur that it is
better that you weight your study based on study size, rather than
inverse variance -> unless most of your studies have similar study
sizes.

It appears that you have many outcomes so I am not sure as to what you
want to study.

For binary outcomes, the results are usually expressed as odds ratios
or hazards ratios in papers.  Hence you would be summarizing ORs and
HRs (and the associated confidence intervals).  You would also need
standard error when you use then metan command.  And don't forget to
log transform the ORs/HRs and the associated CIs when you input your
data for your meta-analysis (it is required if you are using metan
command).

I hope this helps

~Christina