Re: st: problem with Margin command and interaction graph in fixed effect logistic regression

From   Klaus Pforr <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: problem with Margin command and interaction graph in fixed effect logistic regression
Date   Fri, 01 Nov 2013 20:48:10 +0100

<>

Dear Nahla,

margins basically evaluates the function outcome|indep. vars for specific values for the indep. var's. With the dydx-option, you get discrete or marginal changes of this function, which means that this evaluates differences of the abovementioned function, where for continouos variables the differences are infinitesimal small and for discrete variables they are unit-steps (unless you specify other options).

Note however that with the clogit command you generally have the problem, that the function for the outcome-prob dependent on the indep. var's is not completely specified, as the unobserved term alpha is not estimated. If you use clogit to estimate fixed-effects-logit-models, there is no easy way out. You can only estimate effects on the logit or the odds-ratio, i.e. the index-function or propensity for an alternative. If you use clogit to estimate a mcfadden-choice-model, the unobserved component is determined by the number of alternatives (unless you have the situation of more than one choice out of many alternatives). In the mc-fadden-choice-model case, you can specify a value for alpha, and estimate predicted probabilities. This follows from the equivalence of this model to mlogit. This type of model is implemented for straightforward use with asclogit.

So to repeat, it depends on your model, how to use margins and interpret the estimates from clogit, and it is easier to use one of the two models to come to the right form of interpretation.

best regards

Klaus