Re: st: How to re-program -save9- for Stata 13?

From   Clyde Schechter <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to re-program -save9- for Stata 13?
Date   Tue, 15 Oct 2013 08:46:52 -0700

files into Stata 9.  Others have advised on the difficulties involved,
and made suggestions how to approximate this, including using a .csv
file as an intermediate.  A substantial problem with using .csv as an
intermediate is that it will lose all labeling information.

I have one other suggestion.  Since  he is willing to invest a fair
amount of time into trying to program this in Stata, I assume that he
has more than just a handful of files that he wants to convert in this
way.  In that case, he might prefer to invest a small amount of money
buying the current version StatTransfer.

While StatTransfer is usually used to translate among different
packages' file formats, it can be adapted to this purpose.  On the
options tab, select Output Options and then set the default Stata
output version to 9 (or even earlier back to versions 4-5 if you
want).  Then use StatTransfer to translate from Stata input (whatever
version is encountered) to an intermediate version that accommodates
variable and value labels (such as SPSS), and then re-translate that
to Stata 9.

(I had hoped to advise just directly translating Stata to Stata 9, but
Stat Transfer throws an exception if you try that.)

Hope this helps.

Clyde Schechter
Dept. of Family & Social Medicine
Albert Einstein College of Medicine