Re: st: outsheeting tempvar names

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: outsheeting tempvar names
Date   Thu, 19 Sep 2013 10:48:36 -0400

At 05:59 AM 9/19/2013, Adrien Bouguen  wrote:
Thanks for your answers.

I use stata 11 unfortunately ... sorry for forgetting to mention it upfront.

Maybe tempvar are not idea but it would solve my problem. I would like
to include this outsheet command into a program that runs some
analysis. Creating "real" variable would means either dropping
variables with the same name at the beginning of my program ( not sure
I want to do that) or dropping them at the end of my command. The
problem with the latter is that whenever program stops (for some
reasons), I stay with my column name variables in my database. And I
don't like that.

Any further ideas?

Best
[...]

If there are other variables with the same name, you may want to address why that is. Do they represent the same things? Seems to add confusion. You may want to change their names to distinguish these "same" variables. Or at least, temporarily rename them at the start, and rename them back to their original names afterwards.
Either way, you avoid dropping them.
You may also want to determine why the program stops, and see if you can prevent that. You might want -preserve- and -restore- as well.
HTH
--David