Re: st: about residuals and coefficients

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: about residuals and coefficients
Date   Tue, 17 Sep 2013 22:26:07 -0400

Ronan,

I continue to prefer "per unit increase" since a regression
coefficient is a type of slope.  In a particular application an actual
increase of one unit may be too large or too small to be meaningful.
The exception, of course, arises when the predictor is an indicator,
whose values are only 0 and 1.

The language about the expected effect of the change on the other
predictors in the model may not reflect the associations among the
predictors.

I do not understand teaching the "other things held constant"
interpretation.  First impressions are often powerful.  It seems a
disservice to students to teach them an interpretation that is flawed.
 It simply does not reflect the way that multiple regression works.

David Hoaglin