Re: st: about residuals and coefficients

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: about residuals and coefficients
Date   Fri, 6 Sep 2013 07:00:38 -0400

Federico,

Briefly (I have little time now before leaving to catch a plane), I
had in mind a variety of designed experiments (and some surveys) that
collect data for combinations of levels of several variables.  The
design ensures that one can change a given variable and hold other
variables constant, because each of those combinations is supported by
data.  The analyses tend to use analysis of variance, rather than
regression.

In any analysis, the data are the key to whether a statement about
holding variables constant is well supported or is an extrapolation of
some kind.

David Hoaglin