RE: st: RE: using multinomials as weights in bootstrapping

From   Charley Greenwood <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: using multinomials as weights in bootstrapping
Date   Fri, 6 Sep 2013 19:37:12 +1000

Thanks Maarten.

For some reason I had thought the bootstrapping facility in Stata was locked into running specific regression commands, and I didn't realize it would create weights independently, and I couldn't see a random number function for multinomials. It was interesting trying the long way round, but bsample is what I need.

Thanks again.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Maarten Buis
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2013 8:45 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: RE: using multinomials as weights in bootstrapping

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM, Charley Greenwood wrote:
> * 1, is there a Stata command which returns the multinomial thresholds for a given value of N ?

the -bsample- command with the -weight()- option, see -help bsample-

> * 2, is there a command which randomly returns an integer directly from the muiltinomial distribution with parameter N?

See:
http://blog.stata.com/2012/07/18/using-statas-random-number-generators-part-1/
http://blog.stata.com/2012/08/03/using-statas-random-number-generators-part-2-drawing-without-replacement/
http://blog.stata.com/2012/08/29/using-statas-random-number-generators-part-3-drawing-with-replacement/

-- Maarten

---------------------------------
Maarten L. Buis
WZB
Reichpietschufer 50
10785 Berlin
Germany

http://www.maartenbuis.nl

Environmental Notice: Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Confidentiality Notice: The content of this message and any attachments may be privileged, in confidence or sensitive. Any unauthorised use is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender, disregard and then delete the email. This email may have been corrupted or interfered with. Coffey International Limited cannot guarantee that the message you receive is the same as the message we sent. At Coffey International Limited's discretion we may send a paper copy for confirmation. In the event of any discrepancy between paper and electronic versions the paper version is to take precedence. No warranty is made that this email and its contents are free from computer viruses or other defects.

CILDISCL0005