Re: st: Features for Stata 14

From   László Sándor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Features for Stata 14
Date   Tue, 3 Sep 2013 14:26:07 -0400

One more thing about methods: Stata could get user-friendly with
regression discontinuity designs, probably along these lines:
http://www.mostlyharmlesseconometrics.com/2012/11/rd-news/

Other statistical stuff that comes to mind probably needs to wait to
prove themselves. Though among the bigger things out there, moment
inequalities look like a biggie.

Smaller things: IV could do more, first and foremost the B-JIVE of Kolesár.

Oh, and on utilities: maps and geo things! Stata cannot fall behind on that.

The binned scatter plots put to great use at rajchetty.com and other
projects could even be officially supported. Its efficient coding is
surprisingly hard even with the existing tools available.

Renaming variables without using (loading) the entire data would sound
something easy to do, and would be a lifesaver for merging from raw
data when the data sources were not prudent with identifier names.

I could imagine an option for merge to drop observations from using
when there are duplicates. This is what many of us do (after a proper
investigation), and it is painful to load the raw data again and again
just to do this. Or we keep lingering along an almost identical, huge
data file that is basically the raw data just without the few rogue
duplicates…

Some simple profiling of code that ran, as it is hard to keep track of
bottlenecks (and memory after Stata 12!) in batch mode…

Built-in esttab/outreg2.

As so many things rely on sorting, some smarter or approximate sorting
methods for big data. At least for -xtile- or -egen, cut()- and other
uses.