Re: st: Features for Stata 14

From   László Sándor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Features for Stata 14
Date   Tue, 3 Sep 2013 12:04:36 -0400

Simpler things: subsampling analogue of bootstrapping.

Thinking outside the box: automatic recommendations for more efficient
coding, esp. with big data. Stata is a high-level language for many
amateur programmers, but many CPU hours and RAM (or as a consequence,
quite some grant money) is wasted on running code that the author did
not know they could write better. Automatic improvements are tricky,
for sure. But suggestions only take some parsing of do files, maybe?
And they could always be turned off.

My projects are seriously hindered by my shared resources being slowed
down by other users' code running for days and with hundreds of GBs of
memory, and the friendly research environment won't enforce rules
while it cannot offer advising on the code either.

E.g. Dan's collection is a strong start, esp. with Joe's slides linked
in at the end. Plus some advice on trying to avoid commands that
preserve or sort. And the tips from the journal, of course.
http://www.nber.org/stata/efficient/

Another major thing probably not changing anytime soon: data-access
performance. http://www.asdfree.com/2013/03/column-store-r-or-how-i-learned-to-stop.html