st: about residuals and coefficients

From   Kayla Bridge <[email protected]>
Subject   st: about residuals and coefficients
Date   Mon, 2 Sep 2013 09:57:05 +0000

Dear all,
I am currently running a simple regression, and try to explain the coefficients. The model and estimation results are the following.
y=5.41+1.24*x1+.28*x2, R2=0.7, N=20
 (0.58) (3.4)   (2.56)
The t-stats are in parentheses.
I'd like to know how much (in terms of percentage) of the change in y is accounted for by change in x1, and how much change in y by change in x2.
Another question is: can I use [sum(residual^2)]/[sum((y-ybar)^2)], where ybar is the mean value of the dependent variable, to say something about percentage of residual, like smaller percentage of residuals implies that x1 and x2 are good explanatory factors for y?
Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Best,
Kayla