Re: st: Confidence Interval for Concentration Index

From   "Roger B. Newson" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Confidence Interval for Concentration Index
Date   Thu, 22 Aug 2013 18:28:42 +0100

The way I would calculate a CI for the Gini concentration index is to use the -scsomersd- package, which you can download from SSC, and which also uses the SSC packages -somersd- and -expgen-. The first example in the online help for -scsomersd- gives the calculation of a CI for the Gini index, using the Normalizing and variance-stabilizing hyperbolic-arctangent (or Fisher's z) transformation, which is probably more important when estimating high Gini coefficients (like in Latin America) than when estimating low Gini coefficients (like in the -womenwage- dataset used in the example).

Another possibility, whihc I think was proposed by Stephen Jenkins, is to use percentile bootstrapping (using -bootstrap-) with the -ineqdeco- package, which you can also download from SSC. This method will be a bit more computer-intensive than mine, but will find the Normalizing and variance-stabilizing transformation in the data, instead of automatically assuming the hyperbolic arctangent.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil