Re: st: GMM minimization of regional errors imputed from hhd level model

Subject   Re: st: GMM minimization of regional errors imputed from hhd level model
Date   Sun, 30 Jun 2013 12:17:14 -0400

Vladimír Hlásny <[email protected]>:
My question is: why try trick -gmm- into doing an optimization it's
not designed for? You are trying to make the first residual within
group orthogonal to income; what if you got unlucky and the first case
in each group had zero income--hard to see how you could improve the
objective function, right?

Instead start with Mata's optimize() which can be used to roll your
own GMM and much else besides: see e.g.
http://www.stata.com/meeting/snasug08/nichols_gmm.pdf

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 10:10 PM, Vladimír Hlásny <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear Austin:
> The model is definitely identified. Matlab runs the model well,
> because I can use household-level and region-level variables
> simultaneously. My trick in Stata also works, except that it produces
> imprecise results and occasionally fails to converge. (My current
> trick is to make Stata think that the model is at the household level,
> and manually setting all-but-one-per-region hhd-level residuals to
> zero.)
>
> Incomes of the responding households are my instrument.
> Essentially, because each region has a different survey-response-rate
> and different distribution of incomes of responding households, GMM
> estimates the relationship between households' response-probability
> and their income (subject to assumptions on representativeness of
> responding households).
>
> In sum:
> I need Stata to use region-level and household-level variables (or
> matrices) simultaneously. Specifically, Stata must minimize
> region-level residuals computed from a household-level logistic
> equation. E.g., if I feed household-level data into the GMM
> function-evaluator program, can I instruct the GMM to use only one
> residual per region?
>
> Vladimir
>
> On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 10:27 PM, Austin Nichols
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Vladimír Hlásny <[email protected]>:
>> I have not read the ref.  But you do not really have instruments. That
>> is, you are not setting E(Ze) to zero with e a residual from some
>> equation and Z your instrument; you do not have moments of that type.
>> Seems you should start with optimize() instead of -gmm-, as you are
>> just minimizing the sum of squared deviations from targets at the
>> region level. Or am I still misunderstanding this exercise?
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM, Vladimír Hlásny <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Thanks for responding, Austin.
>>>
>>> The full reference is: Korinek, Mistiaen and Ravallion (2007), An
>>> econometric method of correcting for unit nonresponse bias in surveys,
>>> J. of Econometrics 136.
>>>
>>> My sample includes 12000 responding households. I know their income,
>>> and which of 2500 regions they come from. In addition, for each
>>> region, I know the number of non-responding households. I find the
>>> coefficient on income by fitting estimated regional population to
>>> actual population:
>>>
>>> P_i = logit f(income_i,theta)
>>> actual_j = responding_j + nonresponding_j