Re: st: Re: Re: FW: Mediation with endogenous mediator and endogenous independent variables

From   John Antonakis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: Re: FW: Mediation with endogenous mediator and endogenous independent variables
Date   Wed, 19 Jun 2013 19:02:40 +0200

Hi:

Your model is:

ivregress y c (x1 x2 m = z1 z2 z3), first r

To establish mediation, if m is endogenous (you can see if m is endogenous by running "estat endog" postestimation) then you can only use z1, z2, z3, and c as instruments for m (with z1-z3 being the excluded instruments). What you ask below makes no sense (to me). If you want to see the indirect effect precisely via a Sobel test, then move this into sem (or you could use reg3 if you wish to have 2sls estimates, though you can't combine -robust- with reg3 but you can bootstrap):

sem (y<- c x1 x2 m) (x1 x2 m <- z1 z2 z3), covstructure(e._OEn, unstructured) vce(robust)

To see what the coefficients are named, postestimation do:

sem, coeflegent

Then test what non-linear effects you want:

nlcom _b[y:m]*_b[m:z1]
nlcom _b[y:m]*_b[m:z1] + _b[y:m]*_b[m:z2] + _b[y:m]*_b[m:z3]
etc.

Hope this helps.

J.

P.S. if you wish take a look at:

Antonakis, J., Bendahan, S., Jacquart, P., & Lalive, R. (2010). On making causal claims: A review and recommendations. The Leadership Quarterly, 21(6). 1086-1120. http://www.hec.unil.ch/jantonakis/Causal_Claims.pdf

We discuss the traditional Baron-Kenny method for testing mediation (or related procedures like Preacher-Hayes), who methods only work is the mediator is exogenous. I all other cases you must use an instrumental variable estimator (via 2SLS or ML estimation).

John Antonakis
Professor of Organizational Behavior
Director, Ph.D. Program in Management

Faculty of Business and Economics