st: Testing the Significance of Differences Using Traditional T-Tests & Bootstrapping‏

From   Csaba Kertai <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Testing the Significance of Differences Using Traditional T-Tests & Bootstrapping‏
Date   Wed, 19 Jun 2013 00:44:26 +0200

Dear All,

I am in the midst of writing my dissertation and I need to test a few things but being relatively new to Stata I need a bit of help.

Long story cut short, I have 9 variables that have different numbers of observations and I need to test the significance of the difference of the mean, 10th percentile, 25th percentile, median, 75th percentile, 90th percentile, and the percentage of positive observations for 2 variables using traditional t-tests as well as bootstrapping.

Testing the significance of mean differences is ok. I guess I just have to use the 'Two-sample mean-comparison test'. My only question re. this test is; should I tick 'unequal variances'?

My real problem though is testing the significance of the difference of the median, 'x'th percentile, and the percentage of positive observations. How should I go about testing these using t-tests and bootstrapping?

Thank you very much indeed, your help is greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

C.