Re: st: From: Richard Moverare <[email protected]>

Subject   Re: st: From: Richard Moverare <[email protected]>
Date   Mon, 17 Jun 2013 17:04:16 -0400

Perhaps something like this? All list commands are for illustration
only, drop them from the production code when you understand how the
example works.
Best, Sergiy

clear
input str27 a
"234 Used cars, no batteries"
"22 Bottles - unspecifed"
"234 Used cars, no batteries"
"440 N/A"
end

list

gen first=substr(a,1,strpos(a," ")-1)
gen last=substr(a,strpos(a," ")+1, strlen(a)-strpos(a," "))

destring first, replace

list

preserve
duplicates drop a, force
sort first
local cmd "label define mylbl "
forval i=1/`=_N' {
  local cmd `"`cmd' `=first[`i']' `"`=last[`i']'"'"'
}
restore

`cmd'
label values first mylbl