Re: st: Need help with working with multiple files

From   Michael Stewart <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Need help with working with multiple files
Date   Mon, 27 May 2013 22:46:01 -0400

HI ,
First of all, thank you very much Steve and Nick.It works like a charm
and I can automate stata to replicate many tasks
I work on Windows .Using ``x'' works.I havent tested `x'.But it
Works.Thats great .
Thank you Steve and Nick
Thank you ,
Yours Sincerely,
Mike.

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 9:46 PM, Steve Samuels <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well, I was concerned about that, but the code worked for me in
> Mac OS X, Here was my test do file:
>

> **********************************
> local ds1 "~Downloads/testsim01"
> local ds2 "~Downloads/dtest01"
>
> local all ds1 ds2
> di `"`all'"'
> foreach x in `all' {
> use `x', clear
> gen nv =1
> save `x'_new, replace
> }
> ********************************
>
> Steve
>
> On May 27, 2013, at 8:50 PM, Nick Cox wrote:
>
> This won't work, as when Stata hits the loop
>
> foreach x in `all'
>
> it will then see
>
> foreach x in ds1 ds2
>
> and will fail at
>
> use ds1, clear
>
> There are two levels of macro referencing in Steve's code, but only
> one level going backwards.
>
> use ``x'', clear
>
> is one way to fix it.
>
> Nick
> [email protected]
>

> On 28 May 2013 01:23, Steve Samuels <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Michael Steward ([email protected]):
>>
>> You can loop, as Nick suggests. Put the data management tasks in
>> external do files, e.g. tasks1.do, tasks2.do, tasks3.do. Then something
>> like the following should work (not tested in Windows). See the help for
>> -include-. The big problem I anticipate is the mounds of output that
>> this could generate.
>>

>> *********************************
>> local ds1 "c/data/dataset-1"
>> local ds2 "c/data/newdata/dataset-2" // etc.
>>
>> local all ds1 ds2
>>
>> foreach x in `all' {
>>   use `x', clear
>>
>>   include tasks1
>>   include tasks2
>>   include tasks3
>>
>>   save `x'_new, replace
>> }
>> *********************************
>>
>> Steve
>>

>> On May 27, 2013, at 3:19 PM, Michael Stewart wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> I am trying to find a way to work multiple files successively.
>> I have multiple large files(really large) placed in different directories
>> I am trying to find a way to load each file into stata, complete bunch
>> of same datamagement tasks,create  a new file from it and places them
>> in a common folder
>>
>> I could use a dofile and do something like
>>
>> clear
>> use c\data\dataset-1
>> datamagement tasks
>> datamagement tasks

> [...]