Re: st: Working with the name of the do file

Subject   Re: st: Working with the name of the do file
Date   Tue, 30 Apr 2013 19:52:33 -0400

Daniel has provided the link to the thread that discusses the issue.
In short, the answer is 'no' a do file does not know it's name.

Even if it did, in your scenario you are likely to face a problem of

program define external

    do internal.do arg1
    do internal.do arg2

end

If your internal.do is opening a log file with a fixed name, it will
overwrite the own output. If you are calling each do file only once,
there is no need to know it's name, just hardwire import.do to write
to 'import.log' and sort.do to write to 'sort.log', etc.

Your do1.do can probably call do2.do, which in turn calls do3.do etc.
So there will be a chain of the do-file names all of which are running
at the moment. A stack of names, which is exactly the stack of calls
or "call stack" present in most programming environments:
http://www.function1.com/site/2008/10/17/stack_trace_read_info.png

Stata has it's internal analog, but it does not allow accessing it
from the user programs.

If you want to do it, this usually means you are doing something, for
which other alternatives exist.

Sergiy.