Re: st: Constant parameters taken as constant in non-linear estimation

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Constant parameters taken as constant in non-linear estimation
Date   Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:16:02 +0100

You are fitting a three-parameter function to bivariate data. This
should mean that

1. You can plot any fitted curve on top of data for your two variables
-vdmean- and -vlagmean-.

2. You can guess at possible values of at least some of your
parameters by trying out values and seeing which are plausible.

-twoway function- is very helpful here.

In my experience -nl- often needs plausible initial values for
parameters  to converge on credible final estimates for parameters.
Without that the results can be garbage even if there is, on the face
of it, a good fit that -nl- should find easily.

Checking your data is also a good idea. Here it looks very puzzling
that what looks like a low sum of squares is reached immediately,
although there is no signal on what the data level is. Look carefully
at -summarize vdmean vlagmean, detail- and a -scatter- plot of the raw
data.

Whether you should use ML instead should depend on what you think is a
reasonable data generating process, and specifically whether a fiction
of Gaussian errors matches what you know about the science here (or
the economics, etc.).