Re: st: survey answers imported from google, checkbox type

From   Steven Young <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: survey answers imported from google, checkbox type
Date   Sun, 21 Apr 2013 21:58:17 -0700

Ok I may have figured out how to .... re-arrange them.

I used sort, by var: gen newj = 1 if _n == 1
replace newj = sum(newj)

Now I run into the problem of, trying to reshape back into Wide, it
says that newj is not unique within id; there are multiple
observations at the same newj within id. How can I persuade it to
ignore that and just reshape it?

I think maybe this solution may not work, because I created a newj
data value of 4, and so when it tries to remake the columns based on
newj, it will not know how to properly take that into account.

I guess the same problem exists, because the original id does not have
the 4th "option" of "none"...

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 6:40 PM, Steven Young <[email protected]> wrote:
> I did read them, and I just used reshape, but it is still somewhat lacking...
>
> After I used split, I wrote "gen id = _n" and reshaped based on the
> stub from the split
>
> Now I have:
>
> id      _j          stub
> 1       1           boy girl
> 1       2           boy boy
> 1       3           girl girl
> 2       1           boy girl
> 2       2           girl girl
> 2       3
> 3       1           boy boy
> 3       2
> 3       3
> 4       1           girl girl
> 4       2
> 4       3
>
> I managed to assign a numerical value through gen and recode to each
> stub's data, and relabeled it as well.
>
> Two last questions:
>
> There's an option for "none". That means someone did not pick "boy
> girl", "boy boy" or "girl girl". As it is, right now that option would
> show up under _j = 1.
> id     _j     stub
> 5      1      none
> 5      2
> 5      3
>
> What's the best way to take this into consideration/introduce this var
> so that all id's have that 4th option??
>
> How do I now re-sort/reshape this back into wide so that it shows up as:
>         Var1       Var2       Var3       Var4
> 1     boy girl   boy boy  girl girl
> 2     boy girl                  girl girl
> 3                    boy boy
> 4                                   girl girl
> 5                                                 None
>
> On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Force is on your mind. Better to think of persuasion. Specific answers below.
>>
>> Nick
>> [email protected]
>>

>> On 21 April 2013 23:15, Steven Young <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Thanks Nick for your reply.
>>>
>>> I used tabsplit from tab_chi (SSC). However it just lists the
>>> tabulation. Is there a way to force it to create new variables based
>>> on the splitting?
>>
>> -tabsplit- restructures the dataset temporarily to do what it does.
>> The tabulation uses -tabulate-, but the original data structure is
>> restored. That's deliberate. If you want something else, you are free
>> to clone the program and rewrite it accordingly.But this is the same
>> question as the next really, so see below.
>>
>>> I read through the Stata support, and I liked split. I can use it to
>>> break the compound strings at the "," (comma).
>>>
>>> One thing I'm running into now, is that for instance in the original Var:
>>> 1    "boy girl, boy boy, girl girl"
>>> 2    "boy girl, girl girl"
>>> 3    "boy boy"
>>> 4    "girl girl"
>>>
>>> When using split, it of course makes 3 new vars called Var1, Var2, Var3.
>>> It also splits the data in the order it sees it.
>>>
>>>     Var1       Var2       Var3
>>> 1  boy girl  boy boy   girl girl
>>> 2  boy girl  girl girl
>>> 3  boy boy