st: mi estimate with wide data - "no imputations" error

From   Vanessa Harbin <[email protected]>
Subject   st: mi estimate with wide data - "no imputations" error
Date   Thu, 18 Apr 2013 18:39:49 -0400

I am analyzing data that contains m = 5 imputations of a single variable - poverty level (plev).

I did not impute the data - they were provided in a separate file from the original data file that contained the missing data. I merged in the imputed variables in wide format.

I have the following variables:
plev
_1_plev
_2_plev
_3_plev
_4_plev
_5_plev

I also have a 0,1 variable that indicates if the values of plev and _1_plev through _5_plev are imputed, but only plev has missing values.

When I try to run mi estimate, I get the error "no imputations" so clearly I am not setting this up correctly.

I have tried this sequence:
mi set wide
mi register imputed plev
mi register regular gender
mi estimate: reg plev gender

And this sequence:
mi set wide
mi register imputed plev _1_plev _2_plev _3_plev _4_plev _5_plev
mi register regular gender
mi estimate: reg plev gender

Both result in the error message: "no imputations."

What is the correct syntax for mi estimate when your data is in wide format and therefore imputed values are in separate variables? Or is my problem in the way I have set up the data? Or the way in which I have declared to Stata the format of my mi data?

Thanks in advance!

Vanessa