RE: st: Dropping 1% observations, but numbers do not match

From   "Miguel Angel Duran" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Dropping 1% observations, but numbers do not match
Date   Wed, 10 Apr 2013 17:58:46 +0200

Thanks again, Nick. I have read your paper: very clear and helpful. In
relation to what you suggest (simplifying: drop if Var <= Number)
 is a very straightforward way to get rid of values, but what I want to do
is to eliminate all the subjects that, in a panel data set, in at least one
period have a value that is lower than a threshold.

Miguel.

-----Mensaje original-----
De: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] En nombre de Nick Cox
Enviado el: miércoles, 10 de abril de 2013 13:15
Para: [email protected]
Asunto: Re: st: Dopping 1% observations, but numbers do not match

It's not a good idea to use code you don't understand!

I understand you as indicating that you are unclear about what [_N] implies
under -by:-. My numbered point #3 put it in words. I wrote a tutorial which
is easily accessible (there's a .pdf online, as below), so I won't add to
what I have written.

SJ-2-1  pr0004  . . . . . . . . . . Speaking Stata:  How to move step by:
step
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J.
Cox
        Q1/02   SJ 2(1):86--102                                  (no
commands)
        explains the use of the by varlist : construct to tackle
        a variety of problems with group structure, ranging from
        simple calculations for each of several groups to more
        advanced manipulations that use the built-in _n and _N

http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=pr0004

Technique for what you are asking is exemplified by

sysuse auto
su mpg, detail
scalar p1 = r(p1)
count if mpg <= p1
drop if mpg <= p1

but I can't write it down without flagging that I don't recommend -drop-ping
like this.

On 10 April 2013 12:01, Miguel Angel Duran <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thank you very much, Nick, for your quick answer. Just one additional
> questin, if you don't mind. How would I drop unconditionally on the
> identifier? And in relation to this (given your answer, just to be
> sure I got it right), when an expression like "var[_N]" is used, what
> does it exactly mean?

Nick Cox