Re: st: Dopping 1% observations, but numbers do not match

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Dopping 1% observations, but numbers do not match
Date   Wed, 10 Apr 2013 11:47:25 +0100

Numerous problems here, at least potentially.

0. Dropping outliers defined by an arbitrary threshold is not
everyone's idea of good data analysis practice. If you want comments
on what is "right", this needs defending.

1. Just because 0.0388193 is reported as the 1% point does not mean
that exactly 1% of observations have that value or less, even in a
situation where 1% of the number of observations is an integer. There
could be ties.

2. Precision. 0.0388193 can't be held exactly as a binary number.
Perhaps what is reported as that is really something else, e.g.

. di %21x 0.0388193
+1.3e01f8fe83ff0X-005

. di %21x 0.03881931
+1.3e01fe5ce7b79X-005

. di %21x 0.03881929
+1.3e01f3a020467X-005

The number of decimal places you see does not correspond to what Stata
holds in storage.

3. You are dropping if and only if _all_ values for each identifier
are less than equal to your threshold. But that would leave in the
data any such values if there were a greater value for the same
identifier. That is, you are dropping conditionally on the identifier,
not unconditionally.