Re: st: Treatment by propensity score interaction

From   Adam Olszewski <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Treatment by propensity score interaction
Date   Mon, 8 Apr 2013 22:31:26 -0400

Hi Perry,
This is a very interesting question and is currently a subject of
research. It has a lot to do with the "subset analyses" and
"heterogeneity of treatment effect" issue that comes up in the
randomized trials. It may indeed uncover unobserved confounding,
although not necessarily - it might just indicate heterogeneous
treatment effect (i.e. patients at high-end of propensity score may
just benefit from the treatment more).
Here are two interesting articles that have dealt with this problem:

Lunt M, Solomon D, Rothman K, et al. Different methods of balancing
covariates leading to different effect estimates in the presence of
effect modification. Am J Epidemiol. 2009;169(7):909-917.
(they propose the interaction test as a sensitivity analysis)

Kurth T, Walker AM, Glynn RJ, et al. Results of multivariable logistic
regression, propensity matching, propensity adjustment, and
propensity-based weighting under conditions of nonuniform effect. Am J
Epidemiol. 2006;163(3):262-270.
(an extreme example of a failed propensity score analysis in a setting
of poor overlap and highly heterogeneous effect)

I hope it's a start of an interesting reading direction. Of course
there is also a wealth of literature on the interaction testing for
treatment heterogeneity in the randomized trials.

Adam Olszewski