Re: st: New variable based on two other variable

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: New variable based on two other variable
Date   Sat, 6 Apr 2013 11:24:48 +0100

The -cond()- function is, in my experience, less known and less used
than it deserves. Although I use it a lot, I find it easiest to
verbalise when writing down as (e.g.)

gen new = if missing(old1, old2) then 0 else max(old1, old2)

!!! Warning. That is not legal code.

There is a tutorial at

SJ-5-3  pr0016  . . Depending on conditions: a tutorial on the cond() function
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  D. Kantor and N. J. Cox
        Q3/05   SJ 5(3):413--420                                 (no commands)
        tutorial on the cond() function

Freely accessible .pdf at
http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=pr0016

On 6 April 2013 10:58, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> Your error with -mvencode- is that -mv(0) is an option, so must follow
> the comma. Stata's error message is a misdiagnosis, but the syntax is
> explicit in the -help-.
>
> But -mvencode- is not necessary here. You can just -replace- with 0.
>
> replace whatever = 0 if whatever == .
>
> Starting again:
>
> A more general solution splits in two: whether (a) one missing is
> sufficient or (b) two missings are necessary for a zero value. If one
> is sufficient you want
>
> gen new = cond(missing(old1, old2), 0, max(old1, old2))
>
> If two are necessary then
>
> gen new = cond(missing(old1) & missing(old2), 0, max(old1, old2))
>
> Nick
> [email protected]
>

> On 6 April 2013 10:42, David Ashcraft <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Thanks to both Nick and Daniel. I do have missing values. I did manage to produce new variable by using the following command as suggested by Nick:
>>
>> gen right = max(prishr, govshr)
>>

>> I want to change the missing values to zeros I tried to -mvencode- I got the following results
>>
>> mvencode govsh mv(0), override
>> factor variables and time-series operators not allowed
>>
>> Based on an old post from Nick, I did the following
>>

>> . gen gov =  govsh
>> (936 missing values generated)
>>
>> .
>> . gen pub =  pubsh
>> (1404 missing values generated)
>>
>> . su  govsh pubh gov pub
>>
>>     Variable |       Obs        Mean    Std. Dev.       Min        Max
>> -------------+--------------------------------------------------------
>>        GovSh |       660 40.53545    28.24789         10        100
>>        PubSh |       192       36.47    20.73895      10.94         83
>>          gov |       660    40.53545    28.24789         10        100
>>          pub |       192       36.47    20.73895      10.94         83
>>

>> mvencode  gov pub mv(0)
>> factor variables and time-series operators not allowed
>> r(101);
>>
>> Please tell me, how can I encode the missing values to zero?
>> Regards
>>
>> David

>>> 2. replace right=govshr if govshr>prishr