Re: Re: Re: st: replicating 2 X 2 data from a paper

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Re: Re: st: replicating 2 X 2 data from a paper
Date   Thu, 4 Apr 2013 13:53:40 -0400

Clyde,

Thanks for your perspective.

I was criticizing only rough edges and errors that I found in the
articles themselves.  The absence of adequate documentation is another
matter entirely.  For some time, the guidelines of the International
Committee of Medical Journal Editors have advised that the statistical
methods should be documented in sufficient detail that a knowledgeable
person with access to the original data could reproduce the results.
I agree that published articles hardly ever have space to do this, and
the gap has widened as more-sophisticated methods have come into use.
But, as you point out, an online appendix provides all the space
needed.  (Some months ago I read an article that had appeared in 2010
in the New England Journal of Medicine.  One appendix was 150 pages
long, and the protocol for the study was in a separate appendix.)  It
seems to me that authors no longer have any excuse for not documenting
their work adequately.

Taking Nick's comment about a "smokescreen" a step further, one
article that I read introduced its own statistical technique, with no
pedigree in the statistical literature.  In support of that technique,
the article cited four papers, not one of which provided any support
for the authors' approach.  Indeed, one of the papers said that
approaches like the authors' should not be used.  My conclusion was
that the authors had not read any of those papers and were citing them
to deceive reviewers.  I was not a reviewer of that article; it had
been published in a "peer-reviewed" journal.

David Hoaglin