Re: st: Clustering help

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Clustering help
Date   Tue, 19 Mar 2013 12:21:28 +0000

This is good advice in general, but the original problem as posed is
to cluster on two variables, latitude and longitude, so a scatter
plot, also known as a map, is readily to hand. Researchers could waste
a lot of time trying to solve this problem by cluster analysis when
there is a much easier way. (Also, to be frank, if you choose cluster
analysis, some fraction of your readership will be irritated because
you used a method they dislike, and some fraction will be laughing
quietly at technical overkill. I make that lose-lose.)

Also in practice schools tend to be where the pupils live, so there is
likely to be clustering depending on the population, so the clusters
chosen by inspection should make sense on other grounds. It's true
that private schools in some systems are often in remote properties
with extensive grounds (e.g. Hogwarts) but I will assume that the real
problem is not too complicated unless told otherwise.

Nick