st: Problem viewing log files (.smcl) created from do-files (dissimilarity matrices) in Stata 12.1

From   Aoife <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Problem viewing log files (.smcl) created from do-files (dissimilarity matrices) in Stata 12.1
Date   Mon, 18 Mar 2013 09:38:42 +0000

Hello Statalisters,

I'm having a problem viewing log files (.smcl) created from do-files in
Stata 12.1  (Mac version). I have previously been able to view log files
and can still view older files I have created, but for some reason my
newly created files, using mainly dissimilarity matrices commands, appear
blank in Stata's viewer. When I open the file in a text programme, this is
all that appears:

{smcl}
{com}{sf}{ul off}{smcl}
{com}{sf}{ul off}

A sample of the code in the corresponding do-file is as follows:

version 12.1
clear
set more off
capture log close
log using "/Users/aoife/Paper 2/Cluster analysis/cluster_an2", replace
use "/Users/aoife/Paper 2/Cluster analysis/2003CDPresp_cap_an.dta"

//Step 1: Dissimilarity matrices
//Financial sector
//Dissimilarity matrix using squared Euclidean distance - lower values are
more similar, higher values more dissimilar
matrix dissimilarity matfin2003 = pos neg posneg_bal if year==2003 &
financial==1, Lpower(2) dissim(standard)
matrix dissimilarity matfin2006 = pos neg posneg_bal if year==2006 &
financial==1, Lpower(2) dissim(standard)
matrix dissimilarity matfin2009 = pos neg posneg_bal if year==2009 &
financial==1, Lpower(2) dissim(standard)
mat list matfin2003
mat list matfin2006
mat list matfin2009
//Telecomms
matrix dissimilarity matcomms2003 = pos neg posneg_bal if year==2003 &
comms==1, Lpower(2) dissim(standard)
matrix dissimilarity matcomms2006 = pos neg posneg_bal if year==2006 &
comms==1, Lpower(2) dissim(standard)
matrix dissimilarity matcomms2009 = pos neg posneg_bal if year==2009 &
comms==1, Lpower(2) dissim(standard)
mat list matcomms2003
mat list matcomms2006
mat list matcomms2009

log close

I have run the same commands without using a do-file but with a log open
and I can view the file that is created without any problems. So I'm
completely puzzled as to why this is happening. I have also tried the
translate command but still the corresponding .log files are blank.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,

Aoife

--
Aoife B. Haney