Re: st: Amelia object as data.frame

From   daniel klein <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Amelia object as data.frame
Date   Tue, 26 Feb 2013 15:09:14 +0100

Aside from the obvious -- R questions are not the topic to be
discussed on Statalist -- based on your earlier question
(http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2013-02/msg00960.html) I get
the impression you switch software, because Stata did not do what you
wanted.

That is not necessarily a problem, but just some words of caution.

Chaniging to another software, because Stata does not do what you
want, might not always be the best choice, given that there might be
good reason why Stat does not do what you want. Just because a(nother)
software does something, it does not mean that this something makes
any sense, or is statistically "correct".

In your case the appearant reason -msp- (SSC) does not work with -mi-
is, that its author did not implement it to work with -mi-. Whether
there is a good statistical reason remains unclear to me. My point is,
that in any case you should think carefully about about what you want
to do. If you, for example,  want to combine Loevinger's H, think
about the distribution of this statistic. Is it normal? If not,
applying Rubin's combination rules (regardless of software) might not
be appropriate. This is discussed here:
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/statistics/combine-results-with-multiply-imputed-data/
along with how to get Stata to combine results from commands that do
not support -mi-.

btw. Ameliaseems to  assume the data to follow a multivariat normal
distribution, which might not be appropriate with Items used for
Mokken scale analysis, and you need to think about this, too.

Best
Daniel

--
Hi Stata Users

I have run multiple imputations using R's Amelia package and would
like to use the imputed dataset to analyse Mokken Scale Analysis.
But mokken requires the object to be a data frame. I tried
as.data.frame(x) and as.matrix(x) but it says that it cannot coerce
class amelia into a data frame or matrix.

australia93=as.data.frame(australia93)
Error in as.data.frame.default(australia93) :
  cannot coerce class '"amelia"' into a data.frame

coefH(australia93)
Error in check.data(X) : Data are not matrix or data.frame

Any help would be much appreciated.