Re: st: switch within do file from Stata 64bit to Stata 32bit

From   Max Bo <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: switch within do file from Stata 64bit to Stata 32bit
Date   Thu, 07 Feb 2013 14:08:23 +0100

Hi Raoul,

i wrote an ado file that calls stata32 using the "shell" command, loads data from an access database via odbc, saves them to a tempfile and reads the data into stata 64 bit. It can be used like the normal odbc-command (but might have some bugs - not all syntax options are tested).
It can also be used to write into a database
If its run from a 32-bit-stata, it just calls the normal odbc command.

Please Note:
Stata 32bit must be in the same folder as the 64bit version and named StataSE-32.exe
If you use Stata ME, please change the code.

I hope that helps,

Cheers
Max

odbc32.ado

version 12
capture program drop odbc32

program define odbc32
// syntax [anything] [if] [in] [using] [, dialog(passthru) dsn(passthru) table(passthru) exec(passthru) load_options(passthru) connect_options(passthru) clear]
  if `c(bit)'==32 {
// odbc `anything' `if' `in' `using', `dialog' `dsn' `table' `exec' `load_options' `connect_options' `clear'
    odbc `0'
  }
  else {
      local commandstr = substr(trim("`0'"),1,4)
      di "`commandstr'"
      local currentdir = "`c(pwd)'"
      // di "`currentdir'"
      local tempdofile = "`c(tmpdir)'z.do"
      qui di "`tempdofile'"
      capture file close tempdo
      file open tempdo using `tempdofile' , write replace
// file write tempdo `"odbc `anything' `if' `in' `using', `dialog' `dsn' `table' `exec' `load_options' `connect_options' `clear'"' _n
      file write tempdo `"odbc `0'"' _n
      if "`commandstr'" == "load" {
          file write tempdo `"odbc `0'"' _n
          file write tempdo `"save `c(tmpdir)'z.dta, replace"' _n
      }
      else {
          save `c(tmpdir)'z.dta, replace
          // di `"`0'"'
          local newcommand = subinstr(`"`0'"',"create","overwrite",1)
          // di `"`newcommand'"'
          file write tempdo `"use `c(tmpdir)'z.dta, clear"' _n
          file write tempdo `"capture odbc `0'"' _n
          file write tempdo `"if "'
          file write tempdo "`"
//          file close tempdo
          file write tempdo `"r(sqlerror)"'
          file write tempdo "'"
          file write tempdo `" == -1 {"' _n
          file write tempdo `"    odbc `newcommand'"' _n
          file write tempdo `"}"' _n
      }
      file close tempdo
      qui cd "`c(tmpdir)'"
      shell "`c(sysdir_stata)'StataSE-32.exe" -e do `tempdofile'
      qui cd "`currentdir'"
      if "`commandstr'" == "load" {
          use "`c(tmpdir)'z.dta", clear
      }