Re: Re: Re: st: Tabulate summary statistics by percentiles and save output

From   annoporci <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Re: Re: st: Tabulate summary statistics by percentiles and save output
Date   Sat, 29 Dec 2012 17:35:25 +0800

Nick wrote:
You miss my point, which is that you are expected to explain the
provenance of user-written commands, as a courtesy to other members of
the list, and to the authors who deserve their credit. This is
explained in the FAQ.

Of course.

As far as I could make out, there are at least two authors for the user-written commands I cited. Ben Jann is the author of -estout- and the related -esttab- and -estpost- while Ian Watson is the author of -tabout-. Below I provide a summary of the information I could gather, in no particular order.

-tabout-

Author: Ian Watson

Brief description:

tabout is a table building program for oneway and twoway tables of frequencies and percentages, and for summary tables.

Reference:
http://econpapers.repec.org/software/bocbocode/s447101.htm

-estout-

Author: Ben Jann

Brief description:

The estout package provides tools for making regression tables in Stata

Jann, Ben (2005): Making regression tables from stored estimates. The Stata Journal 5(3): 288-308.

Jann, Ben (2007): Making regression tables simplified. The Stata Journal 7(2): 227-244.
http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/e/estout/

-esttab-

Author: Ben Jann

Brief description:

a wrapper for -estout

Reference:

http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/e/estout/esttab.html

-estpost-

Author: Ben Jann

Brief description:

esttab and estout tabulate the e()-returns of a command, but not all commands return their results in e(). estpost is a tool make results from some of the most popular of these non-"e-class" commands available for tabulation. It collects results and posts them in an appropriate form in e().

Reference:

http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/e/estout/estpost.html

See also -eststo- -estadd-

Quoting from Ben Jann:

"estout owes much to John Luke Gallup's outreg and official Stata's estimates. Furthermore, the idea to provide the adaptive display format was motivated by Roy Wada's outreg2."

See also:

-outreg2-