st: Re: st: Re: st: Re: st: Re: st: Re: st: RE: Truncated sample or Heckman selection‏

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: st: Re: st: Re: st: Re: st: Re: st: RE: Truncated sample or Heckman selection‏
Date   Fri, 5 Oct 2012 16:21:40 +0100

Isn't this the same question?

It seems to me that you have two issues, which are independent of each other.

1. Your response is bounded [0,1] or [0,100], dependent on units.

Joerg, Maarten and I all seem to agree that this is not censoring in
any strong sense, as values outside the bounds are impossible in
principle. Thus we don't think that tobit makes sense here.

Daniel's argument appears to be that there is a important sense in
which this can be considered as censoring. Thus he seems more open to
the idea that tobit makes sense.

This is not an election and what is right is not determined by
counting votes. As I don't understand Daniel's argument I certainly
can't refute it.

Personally I pay little attention to what's popular in the literature
if I think it's wrong. It's good news for me: I have a chance to try
to improve practice.

2. There is a question of what determines which firms do and which do
not innovate. This is interesting and important and you should model
it _if you have data to do so_. In your earliest posts in this thread,
you seemed (to me at least) to imply that you have no other data on
non-innovating firms with which to model selection, but you should
know.

This is just my summary. The others who have contributed to the thread
may want to correct or complement it. Other people of course may have
other views.

If you are expecting that Statalist can act as a collective oracle
that can tell you the _correct_ thing to do in your project, that is I
suggest more than the list can deliver.

Nick