Re: st: how to define a matrix with mathematical expression

From   Nina YIN <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how to define a matrix with mathematical expression
Date   Mon, 10 Sep 2012 16:05:25 +0200

Hi Maarten

Sorry that I didn't specify the exact problem since it's a little bit
difficult to explain.
Now I explain it below:
 I want to do a matrix computation to estimate the marginal cost of
firm in the following equation:

price-marginal cost=inverse of martrix A*Demand

where matrix A is what I want to generate, while price, marginal cost
and demand are vectors for each products.

matrix A is composed with the derivatives of demands of products with
respect to prices of each products; i.e.,

the (i,j) element of A is

Aij=   - partial Demand of product j/partial price of product i,  if
product i and j are produced by the same firm;
Aij=0, otherwise.

Now I know prices, demands, derivatives of demands over prices, I need
to calculate marginal cost for each products.
whether product i and j are produced by the same firm or not could be
identified in data, which I could use some expression for it.
I could generate (i,i)elements for the matrix, but for the (i,j)
elements (i!=j), I have no idea what to do for it.

If you have any ideas about it, please feel free to tell me! Thank you
very much!

Best,
Nina