Re: st: how to define a matrix with mathematical expression

From   Nina YIN <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how to define a matrix with mathematical expression
Date   Mon, 10 Sep 2012 14:55:05 +0200

Okay, Nick, thank you for your answer,  Symbolic manipulation is
exactly what I want.
Maybe I should return to Matlab to deal with it.

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> I don't think I can add much to my previous post. The key is that
> Stata expects to be given a number for each element of a matrix. It
> won't do symbolic manipulation, if that is what you are seeking.
>
> If you made concrete what your matrix is, that might help make clear
> what you are finding difficult to understand.
>
> Nick
>
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Nina YIN <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi Nick,
>>
>> Thank you for your reply!
>>
>> Does you mean that I should make these derivations into vectors and
>> then define them into matrix?
>>
>> However, it's a big matrix with size110*110. Also I want to define the
>> element "x_{ij}" as
>>
>> if some condition satisfied, x_{ij}= partial Di/partial Pj;
>>
>> else  x_{ij}=0.
>>
>> Therefore, it would be a problem if it need me to define each element by hand.
>>
>> Do you have any idea about this? Thank you very much!
>>
>> Best,
>> Nina
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I think you are correct. If your matrix is a matrix of partial
>>> derivatives, you have to do any calculus derivations yourself.
>>>
>>> Nick

Best Regards,
Nina YIN

Toulouse School of Economics