RE: st: tuples, stepwise and counting types of variables

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: tuples, stepwise and counting types of variables
Date   Mon, 13 Aug 2012 21:56:21 -0400

Nice to see that Nick is an active member of the "anti-stepwise regression club." In that regard, I might strongly suggest taking a look at:

Flom, P.L., & Cassell, D.L. (2007). Stopping stepwise: Why stepwise and similar selection methods are bad, and what you should use. NESUG 2007: Statistics and Data Analysis.
http://www.nesug.org/proceedings/nesug07/sa/sa07.pdf

Huberty, C. J. (1989). Problems with stepwise methods—Better alternatives. In B. Thompson (Ed.), Advances in social science methodology (Vol. 1, pp. 43–70). Greenwich, CT: JAI Press.
http://education.gsu.edu/coshima/EPRS8550/Oshima%20Problem.pdf

Thompson, B. (2001). Significance, Effect Sizes, Stepwise Methods, and Other Issues: Strong Arguments Move the Field. The Journal of Experimental Education, 70(1), 80-93.
http://web.me.com/rsbalkin/Site/Research_Methods_and_Statistics_files/Strong%20arguments%20move%20the%20field--Thompson.pdf

Thompson, B. (1995). Stepwise Regression and Stepwise Discriminant Analysis Need Not Apply here: A Guidelines Editorial. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 55(4), 525-534.

Thompson, B. (1989). Why won't stepwise methods die? Measurement and Evaluation in Counseling and Development, 21(4), 146-148.
http://web.me.com/rsbalkin/Site/Research_Methods_and_Statistics_files/why%20won't%20stepwise%20methods%20die.pdf

Some additional references are in the FAQ Nick mentioned. To be sure, I'm not against data mining in general.

Cam