st: RE: RE: missing standard error in multinomial logit

From   "Jacobs, David" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: missing standard error in multinomial logit
Date   Wed, 8 Aug 2012 19:45:24 +0000

One indicator of problems with dummies in such an analysis is extremely large coefficients on one or more dummies particularly if you ask for odds ratios.

In any case, if you're right that it is a problem with the dummies, is there any way you could recode that would make sense?

Dave Jacobs

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Macquet, Laure (Student)
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 2:08 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: missing standard error in multinomial logit

Hello all,

I am trying to estimate the impact of some specificities of e-commerce firms on their choice for entry mode through a multinomial logit regression.

The entry modes are the dependent variable: Acquisition, Joint Venture, Partnership, Greenfield

In my independent variables, amongst others, I have two dummies:
WEB (1 if the acquired/partnering firm is an online firm, 0 otherwise) BM (1 if the acquired/partnering firm is a brick and mortar firm, 0 otherwise)

When I run the regression with all the independent variables, the number of iterations is really big (around 45) and some lines within the table have missing values except from the coefficient. I suspect the two dummies to be the issue but I cannot really get rid of any of them...
Indeed, WEB=0 does not necessarily means that BM=1 for the same observation since in the case of Greenfield, WEB=BM=0 (there is no acquired/partnering firm).

Can anybody help me on this?

Thanks very very much !

Laure