Re: st: how to have commands in a loop (over strings) shown in log files, without using nested quotes

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how to have commands in a loop (over strings) shown in log files, without using nested quotes
Date   Wed, 8 Aug 2012 00:21:40 +0100

If you need to nest quotation marks there is no alternative to doing
it correctly.

Your first form looks quite right to me so I am puzzled on why it
doesn't work. I don't have your data, but the following code works for
me and should be testable by you.

The syntax looks odd at first sight but it is perfectly logical, being
on all fours with () [] and { }. The principle is that " " " " is not
an acceptable form because it is ambiguous, but `" " " "' is fine
because it implies nesting. Given that the outer quotation marks can
only match each other, the inner ones must match too.

sysuse auto, clear
decode foreign, gen(origin)
tab origin
foreach val in Domestic Foreign {
	display `" table rep78 head if origin == "`val'" "'
	table rep78 head if origin == "`val'"
}

foreach val in "Domestic" "Foreign" {
	display `" table rep78 head if origin == "`val'" "'
	table rep78 headroom if origin == "`val'"
}