Re: st: out of sample lowess prediction

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: out of sample lowess prediction
Date   Wed, 8 Aug 2012 00:16:21 +0100

I'd add an orthogonal comment.

-lowess- was for a while my favourite scatter plot smoother, but it
has been displaced in my affections. Some of its disadvantages are
minor or trivial but they add up.

1. -lowess- is based on lots of regressions, and can be _very_ slow.

2. -lowess- as implemented in Stata is just one of several
interpretations of the lowess method. This is a small problem when
explaining what you did and/or comparing it with results from other
software.

3. -lowess- can displease aesthetically because the results are often
not smooth visually, leaving all shorts of minor irregularities. It is
true that showing any main structure is the main purpose of a
smoother, but it is also true that

4. Often -lowess- will agree with other smooths for "reasonable"
problems, other smooths including restricted cubic splines and
fractional polynomials. As these other smooths are typically much
faster, are visually smooth in their result and leave some kind of
model in their wake, they have definite advantages over lowess and no
obvious disadvantage.

Nick