RE: st: Zero Inflated Poisson Regression

From   "Scott Holupka" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Zero Inflated Poisson Regression
Date   Tue, 7 Aug 2012 13:04:18 -0400

Thanks for the suggestions.  We've tried in the past to find an appropriate
IV, but so far haven't found anything that works.  At least with propensity
we can try to control for any observed differences.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Cameron McIntosh
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2012 3:10 PM
To: STATA LIST
Subject: RE: st: Zero Inflated Poisson Regression

Scott,

Good question. Generally, I don't know if there is very much out there on
how to fit ZIPs, or count/rate variable regression models in general, with
non-linear relations (e.g., quadratic as you seem to suggest).  I don't know
what Stata has to offer in this regard (as I'm not a "Stata guy"), but I
might suggest a neural network approach, perhaps using MATLAB:

Nader, F., Hong, G., Kazem, M., Ali, S.S., Keramat, N., & Reza, E.M. (2009).
Nonlinear Poisson regression using neural networks: a simulation study.
Neural Computing & Applications, 18(8), 939-943.
http://www.mscs.dal.ca/~hgu/Neural%20Comput%20&%20Applic.pdf

As for your endogeneity problem, MATLAB also does propensity score matching,
and you may also want to consider using instrumental variables, if you can
find some good ones in your data set.

Caliendo, M., & Kopeinig, S. (2008). Some practical guidance for the
implementation of propensity score matching. Journal of Economic Surveys,
22, 31-72.

Stuart, E. A. (2010). Matching methods for causal inference: A review and a
look forward. Statistical Science, 25, 1-21.

Bollen, K.A. (2012). Instrumental Variables in Sociology and the Social
Sciences. Annual Review of Sociology, 38, 37-72.
http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev-soc-081309-150141?journ
alCode=soc

Perhaps some more experienced Stata programmers could provide you with a
Stata solution, however. Anyway, hope this helps.

Cam