st: RE: xtivreg2: orthog option

Subject   st: RE: xtivreg2: orthog option
Date   Wed, 4 Jul 2012 18:57:57 +0100

James,

I am not sure, but the problem might be here.

You write as if your instruments can have a property called
"orthogonality" in some abstract sense, separate from the model you have
specified.

But that's not how it works.  The orthogonality of Z means E(Zu)=0,
where u is the ("true") disturbance term for a specified model.  If you
change the model, you change the definition of u (u is, in a sense, by
definition everything that is not in the model).  It's quite possible
for E(Zu)=0 for one model but then not be true if you change the model
by adding or dropping regressors.

Apologies if this obvious and not what you meant.  HTH in any case.

Cheers,
Mark

> (say Hansen J Stat p-value >0.5000), I then test the
> orthogonality of each of my included instruments i.e.
> orthog(lnsale) and so on.
>
> However, I am finding that the C-Stat for some of the
> included instruments depends on the set of excluded
> instruments, even though in each case the set of excluded
> instruments appears orthogonal.
>
> For example, when I run the following:
>
> xtivreg2 ltdbv lnsale tang itang itangdum tax prof mtb
> capexsa liq ndts yr* (=l.itang l.prof l.mtb l.capexsa l.liq
> l.ndts) if profsubs>0 & capexsasubs>0, fe cluster(firm) gmm2s
> orthog(tang)
>
> I get the following results in relation to orthogonality tests:
>
> Hansen J statistic (Lagrange multiplier test of excluded
> instruments):   5.104 Chi-sq(6) P-val =    0.5306
> -orthog- option:
> Hansen J statistic (eqn. excluding suspect orthog.
> conditions):          0.853 Chi-sq(5) P-val =    0.9735
> C statistic (exogeneity/orthogonality of suspect
> instruments):           4.250 Chi-sq(1) P-val =    0.0392
> Instruments tested:   tang
> Included instruments: lnsale tang itang itangdum tax prof mtb
> capexsa liq ndts yr90 yr91 yr92 yr93 yr94 yr95 yr96 yr97 yr98
> yr99 yr00
> yr01 yr02 yr03 yr04 yr05 yr06 yr07
> Excluded instruments: L.itang L.prof L.mtb L.capexsa L.liq L.ndts
> Dropped collinear:    yr08
>
> However, when I drop l.capexsa and l.liq from the set of
> excluded instruments I get:
>

> Hansen J statistic (Lagrange multiplier test of excluded
> instruments):   0.970 Chi-sq(4) P-val =    0.9143
> -orthog- option:
> Hansen J statistic (eqn. excluding suspect orthog.
> conditions):          0.570 Chi-sq(3) P-val =    0.9033
> C statistic (exogeneity/orthogonality of suspect
> instruments):           0.400 Chi-sq(1) P-val =    0.5271
> Instruments tested:   tang
> Included instruments: lnsale tang itang itangdum tax prof mtb
> capexsa liq ndts yr90 yr91 yr92 yr93 yr94 yr95 yr96 yr97 yr98
> yr99 yr00
> yr01 yr02 yr03 yr04 yr05 yr06 yr07
> Excluded instruments: L.itang L.prof L.mtb L.ndts
> Dropped collinear:    yr08
>

> Can anyone tell me why I experience such a large change in
> the C stat for tang?
>
> Best regards
>
> James

Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times
Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012

registered under charity number SC000278.